Should NATO members increase spending?

Libertas

Administrator
Staff member
One of the topics President Trump mentions is how members of NATO should increase spending. Have we reached a point where NATO is no longer needed? With the development of nuclear weapons, nations are assured mutual destruction. If anything, future wars between superpowers may only last a few days, or even a few weeks. Humanity has reached a point where we can destroy entire cities with nuclear weapons in minutes as compared to weeks or months with conventional bombs. Why should NATO increase spending when we have enough nuclear devices to destroy the world dozens of times over.

The world is experiencing an era of peace like has never been experienced before. Part of that peace my be due to the development of nuclear weapons. So why do we need thousands of tanks, ships, planes... etc? Any invading nation into Europe could face the wrath of limited nuclear bombardment.

Rather than spending more money on building military weapons, why not spend that money on science, medical research, aiding developing nations so they do not have to burn coal... etc. Humanity could turn Africa into the worlds breadbasket for the price of just a few nuclear missiles, or aircraft carriers.

How many tractors and irrigation pumps could be bought instead of one jet fighter?

How many homes could be built for the needy instead of bombs?

How many students could be sent to college for free instead of buying weapons of war?

IamZeke

2%, dammit. That's not too much to ask. Look who is actually trying.

While rich Germany ticks me off, the one that really disgusts me is Belgium. Twice overrun by the Germans and a wealthy country, home to the EU.

I get that a lot of nations on the Med are poor, but Belgium has no excuse at all to be on parity with Spain at the bottom of the heap.

Libertas

Administrator
Staff member
You mean Poland outspends Germany? Wow, just wow.

It seems nations furthest from Russia spend the least.

IamZeke

That's a % of their national GDP, so Poland spends a lot less than Germany but more of what they earn in taxes in a year compared to what Germany earns a year. Because it is % of national GDP that's why the Belgium amount is so bad. As a total amount they have to spend tiny fraction of what Germany spends and still make their 2%. Look at small and very broke Greece. They don't mess around. 2.4% is higher than anyone in NATO except the US. Greece can't risk that Turkey might ignore their fellowship in NATO and bring back the old wars. After 3000 years of fighting the land that is now Turkey they don't risk this temporary peace. Of course, Poland, and Romania are friends the US barely deserves. They love us and yet we never did much for them. The Baltic states we helped a lot more and Russia scares the crap out of them for good reason. France has always been smart about their military spending. They make a lot of foul noises about NATO but quietly they do their fair share. I guess I can put up with their bad noise since they still do their job. If Europe gets invaded it will be Norway and the US providing sea and air power with Poland taking the hard hit and France backing them up on the ground. The Med states won't be able to do a lot, but they still have some fire and will get a lot of fire out of their limited power. Germany will just bend over and take it in the ass and want to talk peace. It's what needs to happen if we ever want to get their loser leadership out. Once Germany falls because of leadership the old German mentality will finally wake up and toss off the old guilt about fighting.

I'm just thankful that Japan didn't go the way of German mentality after WW2. When the time comes, Japan will be willing to fight in the east.

IamZeke

But they are our sleeping giant. WW2 was more of an aberration. Ever since Commodore Perry entered Tokyo Harbor in 1853, it has been America the Japanese choose as their primary ally and source of Western culture. WW2 was more like the younger brother feeling their pride disrespected and needed to punch their older brother hard in the nose. In that one respect they sort of got what they wanted out of WW2. We have never been dismissive of their potential ever again. Eating a couple nukes is a hard damn way to earn some respect but they did it. If war breaks out with China or the Norks, you can bet the Japanese will be in their slugging with both fists and doing real damage.

Libertas

Administrator
Staff member
Eating a couple nukes is a hard damn way to earn some respect but they did it. If war breaks out with China or the Norks, you can bet the Japanese will be in their slugging with both fists and doing real damage.
Japan took the nukes, and came back stronger than ever. Japan can be an example the rest of the world can look up to.

I wonder how this NATO issue will play with President Trump? Maybe he will cut funding to NATO? I sure hope so. We can not afford to be the worlds police force.