Marriage is the foundation of society

Libertas

Administrator
Staff member
Why is marriage the foundation of society? Because it provides children a stable home and family structure. Without a solid foundation, children have nothing to gauge relationships with.

It has been shown children who come from a broken family:

More likely to use illegal drugs
Girls are more likely to get pregnant before marriage
Less likely to go to college
More likely to end up on welfare

Over the past decades there has been a gradual shift away from marriage, and society has paid the price for it.

Because why should marriage be a lot of work? With synonyms like labor, toil, slog, drudgery, exertion, effort ... why would anyone want to spend decades doing that? Shouldn’t it just kind of flow instead?
I brought the subject up with friends of ours who have been married even longer than we have. We talked about what makes a great marriage: a true partnership, respect, compassion, patience, understanding, compromise, empathy, and lots and lots and lots of laughter. To that, I might add never dissing your spouse in public (notice how Mike always ends up smelling like roses in my writing) and an active sex life (sorry kids).
We all went for a walk, and my friend and I found ourselves quite a bit ahead of the men, and we waited for them to catch up.
“See how you have to walk a little slower because Mike broke his pinky toe?” she asked.
“That’s compassion,” I answered. “Not work. Plus, I get a great deal of satisfaction by being right about his needing to wear shoes on the boat. That was a great ‘I told you so’ moment. How often do you get one of those? Pure pleasure.”
“Do you notice how you often watch what he wants to watch on TV?” she asked.
“That’s compromise,” I answered, not work. Plus, we try to find things we both like.

I agree with what he states. Here is the link to read the whole article https://www.huffpost.com/entry/marriage-is-not-hard-work_b_7748454

Hawk

Mike is an asshat. Always has been.

Because why should marriage be a lot of work? With synonyms like labor, toil, slog, drudgery, exertion, effort ... why would anyone want to spend decades doing that? Shouldn’t it just kind of flow instead?
I brought the subject up with friends of ours who have been married even longer than we have. We talked about what makes a great marriage: a true partnership, respect, compassion, patience, understanding, compromise, empathy, and lots and lots and lots of laughter. To that, I might add never dissing your spouse in public (notice how Mike always ends up smelling like roses in my writing) and an active sex life (sorry kids).
We all went for a walk, and my friend and I found ourselves quite a bit ahead of the men, and we waited for them to catch up.
“See how you have to walk a little slower because Mike broke his pinky toe?” she asked.
“That’s compassion,” I answered. “Not work. Plus, I get a great deal of satisfaction by being right about his needing to wear shoes on the boat. That was a great ‘I told you so’ moment. How often do you get one of those? Pure pleasure.”
“Do you notice how you often watch what he wants to watch on TV?” she asked.
“That’s compromise,” I answered, not work. Plus, we try to find things we both like.

I agree with what he states. Here is the link to read the whole article https://www.huffpost.com/entry/marriage-is-not-hard-work_b_7748454