If the 2nd Amendment is absolute

Then should the 1st also be absolute? Which negates the crime of perjury or sharing top secret information. Our speech can't be compelled or have any restrictions.

Libertas

Administrator
Staff member
Then should the 1st also be absolute? Which negates the crime of perjury or sharing top secret information. Our speech can't be compelled or have any restrictions.

Yelling fire in a crowded room is not free speech. Then again, democrats yelling "free stuff" will get more votes than telling the voters to get a job.

One of the issues facing modern society is the mass dissemination of fake news. Major media is quick to pass opinion pieces off as fact, and that harms everyone.

IamZeke

I see no right as purely absolute because every right demands responsibility as well. If responsibility exists then the right isn't absolute.

Our focus should be to limit the responsibilities to the necessary minimum, so that our rights are as close to absolute as possible.

As for the 1st, that really only pertains to the soapbox on public property. There is no right to free speech in my house because it is private property. Slander, threats, perjury, sedition, suborning, incitement, etc.....the list of limits on the 1st are rather lengthy.

Too many see a right where it doesn't exist. This website is a great example. What we have here is greatly expanded permissions, not any rights. Libertas can't even fully offer absolute permission because his hosting has a terms of service he must abide by, so he can't even say there is an absolute right, though for all legal purposes this site is effectively his property. Physical property has its own limits. Say anything I want in my back yard? Nope. I can't go enticing kids over my fence, and I can be slapped with a high noise complaint. If I go try to tell the judge the ticket for playing my music too loud that my 1A is being violated then I expect a short chuckle before I get told I;m paying the max fine and they don't take personal checks at the payment window.

As nasty as the MSM is we really shouldn't be looking to laws to fix them. We need to be telling everyone exactly how dissect news to separate fact from agenda opinion, or to start turning the damn idiot box off if that's too hard. Mind you, I'd be OK with having someone monitor the MSM for sedition. We've become too pansy-assed about calling that out.